Wednesday, January 10, 2007

 

I continue to post most of the detail of our life...

...over at The Dailies. The immediately previous link will take you to the latest entry, although that one hasn't much information.
    I've been fooling around with a different Label Index layout over there, especially since the labeling is so straighforward because almost everything over there is fact. Labeling journaled prose is only a little easier than labeling poetry...which may as well be labeled word by word. Anyway, I came up with a fairly good layout. Some of the entries may change, a little, but only in order to approximate a hard copy book index. Because there is so much hard information in that journal, the labeling is actually useful, and helpful. I gotta tell ya, I still can't believe I did that, and during a pretty intense care time. Although, well, not that this isn't intense, it's just intense in different ways and I'm marginally used to it.
    So, anyway, yesterday was much more extended than it appeared at the stat journal. It was just very slow. I'm trying to fit in a couple of rented movies that I know Mom would like to see, but she's up and down and up and down. At the last "up", which occurred at 0045 this morning, I even encouraged her to come out and we'd watch a "short" movie, because she seemed alert. I had in mind Water, which I've been salivating to see and I think it would entrance my mother, as many foreign films do, especially those featuring Asiatic cultures. So, I'm not anxious to see it without my mother.
    The other film is a sort of docu-tainment thing, featuring Howard Zinn talking about current political developments, augmented with interviews with others. I'm expecting that she'll enjoy this, too, especially since she read A People's History of the United States [so did I], although I'm sure she wouldn't recall it, now. I think with clipped, sometimes obtuse political banter, such as in The West Wing or such docu-tainments as we have here, today, awaiting us, it isn't that she catches a lot or retains a lot. I think it is the exercise of listening closely and knowing that the person to whom you're listening is being shrewd and you can understand that person. She may not remember these episodes, may not retain anything from them, but I think they provide a kind of exercise that does a subconscious lot to keep her sense of herself firm and reliable.

    I'm not sure when I'll wake her up, today. I'm cruising. We've got a low, only clouds and pressure dropping and increased humidity, going through followed by another somewhat more ferocious (I hope) low that is supposed to bring snow tonight through Friday. I'm expecting to arouse Mom no later than 1400, but she was up until 0200 this morning, and days like this are not uncommon, especially after a protracted period of sleep jag days, like she's had.
    I became worried, again, and attempted to discuss with her, by way of confession, really, whether she'd like me to look into more active, stimulating experiences and circumstances for her. In the back of my mind I was thinking "Dementia Living Facility". In the forefront I was thinking "Adult Day Care Center". As I asked her whether she'd be interested in any of these things I also confused the issue(s) with questions I gave her no time to answer like, "Are you bored, Mom," and "Do you want me to push you more?" and "Do you want to be up more?" and "Do you feel as though you need a reason to be up more?"
    Finally, my mother threw up her mental hands and said, "Goodness, girl, what are you thinking?!? We can hardly manage all the activity that besets us now!"
    Of course, a lot of it depends on how she's feeling, slow or quickened, but, either way, I don't tend to consider myself a failure and feel guilty about days, weeks, even, when she is spontaneously active. Only, of course, when she is spontaneously lethargic...and she thinks her life is almost too busy to handle! What a woman.
    Later.

Comments:
Originally posted by Deb Peterson: Sun Jan 21, 12:26:00 PM 2007

Hi Gail--I've been reading your January posts and thinking about you and your Mom. Your wondering about a dementia care facility started me thinking about how each one of us must start from scratch when making that kind of decision. From the outside, I look at your situation with your mother and think that she couldn't possibly do any "better" than she is now, living with you. It's funny, but I've used the socializing rationale to come to terms with my mother's move to AL, but if her emotional and cognitive compass were more intact--or at least stable--I wouldn't have thought about moving her just for the social benefits. Maybe because I tend to be a loner? Theoretically, it's probably beneficial to be part of a fabric, but I'd rather be at the fringe rather than the center of the weave! In the end, I moved her because I couldn't keep up with her deterioration--it was wearing me down, trying to keep her safe and somewhat contented.

There's so much pleasure that you describe in your relationship with your mother. I'm not saying that moving her would destroy that, but unless you think it's wearing you down, I think the richness of her daily life with you probably surpasses having many less intense relationships. I'm only saying that if you're worrying that you are not "giving" her what she needs--well...it doesn't look that way from here! First of all, you can't be expected to do everything, and, second, the lulls and the "valleys" are part of the experience. Your needs are a part of the equation, too, along with the momentum that's created by the sum of your needs and hers.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?