Friday, March 16, 2007

 

When I was a junior in high school...

...and having difficulty determining what sort of higher education I should pursue, Mr. Eschbach, the junior counselor, offered to administer a test to me that promised to sift through my many skills and interests and narrow them down to a field of study and career that would be appropriate for me. I jumped at the chance. The test contained what seemed like thousands of questions designed (without the following inserted tongue-in-cheek) thus:
If you had a gun pointed at your head and were told that you had a choice to indulge in one of the following activities or die, which activity would you choose:
  1. Rebuild a carburator.
  2. Lead a group of Downes Syndrome youngsters in directed play.
  3. Invent a better mousetrap and market it.
  4. Promote someone else's career.
  5. Paint a picture in watercolor.
  6. Paint the side of a building.
  7. Perform nursing duties in a hospital.
  8. Perform an appendectomy.
    Although I applied myself with stark seriousness, the test wasn't easy for me. Sometimes, considering each group of activities, I'd rather rebuild a carburator than invent a better mousetrap, depending on the type of mousetrap. Sometimes I'd rather paint the side of a building than paint a picture, depending on the medium offered for painting the picture. Occasionally, the only suggested activity that looked interesting was performing surgery, even though I had, at the time, no interest in medicine. Never, though, was there a group of selections in which the activity that most interested me involved any kind of caring for any type of people.
    My results were disappointing. No preferences emerged. The results were so askew that Mr. Eschbach joked that, although cheating wasn't possible on such a test, it looked as though I had. The only result that was so clear as to be incontrovertible was this: "What ever you do, you should never go into the helping professions. It would be best if you chose a career that involved solitary labor."
    I wasn't surprised. If you've read a fair portion of my journals, you aren't surprised, either. I'm not a natural caregiver. Never have been. Never wanted kids. Never wanted to marry. Never even played with dolls. I tried living with a couple of lovers and succeeded only in kicking them out. I've been known as an excellent friend but only because I have a talent for advanced listening. I don't listen because I want to help or comfort people, although solace for the talker is often a fringe benefit of the skills involved in advanced listening. I listen because I'm a natural observer, keen to know everything I can absorb, consider it, combine it with other observations, play with a variety of stored observations mixed with new ones, see what I come up with. I have no problem doing this for an audience. My preferred environment, though, for observation (including listening), consideration, combination and play is an environment in which I am alone, or, at least, left alone.
    I've always been a loner; the kind of loner who admires and aspires to the lives of legendary hermits. I slept through my birth; that should tell you something about how interested I was in making contact with other humans. I haven't always thought I could live alone, but that wasn't because I was afraid of being alone; it was because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to support my lone self. Once I realized, in my early 20's, that I could, I was free, and satisfied to freely remain alone. I've always been annoyed with communal living rituals such as bonding chatter; bonding recreation; bonding meals. I find them distracting. Although we had many pets in my born-into family, I never took care of them, never really bonded with them, although I liked all of them and loved some. On my own, I had only one pet, a cat who preferred to be outside, so much so that he refused to use a litter box. I used to call him my dog-cat. Pets need care. I've always preferred to take care of myself, only myself. I'm not anti-social (which is odd, actually; I'm unusually socially adept, not only for a loner but for most non-loners) and have managed to nurture and keep my share (not other people's share, mind you, my share) of friends but, you know, my preference, on any day, is time alone over time with a treasured friend. As well, if I lose a friendship because the friend's demands are too great for me to accommodate or vice versa, oh well, I've still got my best friend: Me.
    Why am I telling you this? To severally underscore the following point: If there is anyone who does not come by caregiving naturally, who does not have a talent for caregiving, who was not made to be a caregiver, it's me. Want to talk caregiver challenged? I even prefer that other people not try to take care of me. I'm proud of these idiosyncrasies, still am, even though I'm, clearly, entangled in intense needs caregiving for my mother. I continue to cherish the memories of the days I figured out I didn't want to have children; didn't want to marry; didn't want to be a constant part of any one community; didn't want to live with my lovers; didn't want to live with anyone, even roommates; didn't want pets; didn't want friends who might consider me something to do if they couldn't think of anything to amuse themselves...
    Why is it important to me to make this point? Recently, a regular reader of my journals, someone I consider an online friend, expressed, in an e to me, concern about my recently published essay over at The Unforgettable Fund Blog. The concern was this: "...it occurs to me that some people are just not made to be caregivers, and then the question is what should they do to support those who are?"
    Interesting question to pose to someone who isn't made to be a caregiver but made one of herself, anyway.
    Here are my considerations in response to this question, in no particular order and not necessarily related, except by the circumstance of being the considerations of an unmade caregiver:    I think we're all shell shocked, right now, by this business of caregiving. We are being forced to become aware of the care needs of our elderly parents, even as we're already aware of our inability to adequately meet the care needs of the families and communities we've created. The most poignant awareness we're experiencing is that, somehow, we've managed to build and nurture a society that does a horrible job of building and nurturing us. It's already obvious that it's going to be incredibly hard to make caregivers out of an entire society of people who weren't made that way from the get go. We're not yet convinced that we're going to have to do it anyway but, let me tell you, it doesn't matter whether we're convinced of this, we're going to have to do it because we are so care poor that we can't produce enough adequate professionals to handle caregiving for us. Sweat and suffering will be involved. Blood will be shed, as it usually is during birth. When the hard part is done, though, we just might find ourselves with children who won't even understand the question, "What should those who aren't made to be caregivers do to support those who are?" because, well, everyone will have a vested interest in caregiving for those about whom they care and no one will perceive caregiving as such an onerous task that they will assume they are not made to give care.
    Will I live to see that day? There's another good question...
    Later.

Comments:
Originally posted by Mona Johnson: Fri Mar 16, 04:07:00 PM 2007

Gail, this is an interesting discussion. I particularly like how you put our overall lack of caregiving skills and inclinations into a societal context.

But after re-reading your guest post at The Unforgettable Fund about how others react to your decision to become a full-time caregiver, and thinking about many of the family caregiving arrangements we know about, I wonder what this means in practical terms. Would many caregivers find it "more trouble than it's worth" to ask other family members to make themselves into caregivers and shoulder some of the load? I guess each family and each person is different.

One final thought about your transformation into a caregiver. You have an incredible amount of knowledge in your brain and on your blog. Have you thought about putting some of the specifics into a book, or at least highlighting some of the "how-to" posts on your blog? I'm thinking of posts like Caregiving Procedures or even Caregiver Bootcamp. Yes, you've learned a lot.


Originally posted by Gail Rae: Fri Mar 16, 06:41:00 PM 2007

Ai, Mona, you've hit the nail on the head. My personal experience, in fact, underlines the point in your second paragraph. I didn't assume the trouble ahead of time, and I stuck with the trouble for a couple of years, and finally, it was just more damned trouble than it was worth. I think, while it's true that in incremental ways each family and person are, indeed, different, and, as our media continually remind us, there are "some" families out their who can really work it well, truth is, most families within the particular societal subset within which my family operates don't do it well at all.
As I'm considering this, I'm thinking, why is it the family's responsibility to rally recalcitrant members, when one lives within a society that supports the recalcitrants over the caregivers? I don't have an answer for that, by the way, but, I know the circumstances regarding why it doesn't get done: You're right. It is way, waaaay too much trouble to be worth it.
Regarding your third paragraph, the section you mention exists, has for awhile, over to the right. It's entitled "Mom & Me Special Posts" and the two you mentioned are already there. One of them, Caregiving Procedures, is the first in that section.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?