Saturday, April 21, 2007

 

Sort of a shameless plug...

...I guess. Partly for myself, partly for the area in which I live, Prescott, AZ, partly for Coyote Community Radio Theater. If you're a fairly regular reader you know that every once in awhile I go into my site stats to see what search terms (there are still a lot of Oedipal men out there, by the way; I wish I knew how search bots figure that this site is what they're looking for) and unfamiliar off site links lead people here.
    Yesterday I noticed an unfamiliar link, clicked into it and was treated to a very, very pleasant surprise. I'm listed on Coyote Radio Theater's Local Blogging page.
    I have a vague memory of applying to be linked some time ago, after having stumbled across the "station's" site through Granny J's Walking Prescott journal, which is among my outgoing links in its own section. Once I applied, I got busy (as usual) and forgot about it. Yesterday, though, I clicked in and, there's my mom, in all her my-favorite-picture-of-her splendor, and a write-up that made me feel so proud I'm still bursting. Who ever checked out my blog before writing it up thinks Mom's and my story is "compelling"!
    Prescott, per population, isn't actually a small town, anymore, like it was when we lived here in 1973 and when my maternal grandparents lived here. They're probably rolling over in their neat little graves in the cemetery just north of Yavapai Medical Center because of the astonishing growth, especially within the last 10 years, and, as well, because of what eventually became of their cottage-house, surrounded, at one time, by huge, sturdy shade trees, at 119 Garden Street. Prescott very much retains a small town feel, though, which is why I love it. If you find small towns fascinating, you might want to check out some of the other journals listed on that page, especially the political ones. You haven't lived until you've experienced politics in a small town, especially when it involves a small town newspaper, over which both political journals obsess, which is pure delight for me. One of them, Courier Watch, even notes how many words the Prescott Courier cuts out of articles reprinted from other sources! I find this intriguing because when I used to regularly read Sunday papers from all over the country, the Courier's marked talent for doing this used to irritate me, especially since I also used to subscribe to Casper, Wyoming's, (I have this "thing" for Casper, Wyoming, even though I've never lived there, so, please, don't ask) Star Tribune and they rarely cut reprinted, syndicated articles.
    Coyote Radio Theater's Podcasts are howling (pun intended) comedy productions. And, there's a link to a panoramic view of Prescott's courtyard square, which is largely responsible for Prescott's eccentric atmosphere. When I talk about Mom and me walking at the courtyard square downtown, visiting the shops around the square, that's where we are. The view was taken in winter, so the trees are bare, which is moderately unfortunate, as the area is in it's glory when the trees are in leaf, but if they were you wouldn't be able to see the shopping area which includes the (in)famous Whiskey Row on Montezuma Street. The square is also where the ubiquitous weekend craft fairs take place late spring through early fall.
    Anyway, although it may seem like a small thing, being linked to a small town, local site, I gotta tell ya, it's the best write-up this site has ever gotten and I love the company I'm in over there. That's Prescott, folks, and, as well, that's Mom & Me in Prescott.

Comments:
Originally posted by Marvel: Sun Apr 22, 04:16:00 AM 2007

Congrats to you Gail! You are so right about small town politics, LOL.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?