Wednesday, May 2, 2007

 

Cholesterol Follies Part 2: The Bacon Battle

    I'll bet you remember an episode from your childhood when your parents were wholly responsible for your life, you and they faced off over something you really, really, really wanted to do and their final edict was some form of the following, "When you're an adult, you can do whatever you want. Right now, you're a kid and you do what I want you to do."
    My mom is an adult...she could even be said to be an adult's adult. She knows what everyone else says is good for her, and bad for her, and she's got remembered experience to back her up when she decides that typical risk factors have been disproved in her case. When I remind her of whys and wherefores regarding a particular risk, she remembers those. She also knows what she likes, what she wants and exactly with what level of risk she's willing to live. Granted, because of our partnership in her life, her levels of risk intimately affect my life. I'll occasionally play a trump card if I surmise that a level of risk she's willing to take might alter our lived-together life in ways that neither she nor I would find interesting or negotiable, but, for the most part, I accept her courage and am willing to live with a fairly high level of mom-chosen risk on her behalf because, well, it's her life and she's not demented enough to allow me to manipulate her into healthy habits without her knowledge.
    We're having an issue with bacon, or, rather, the lack of it. It's not that my mother doesn't like Canadian bacon. She just likes the more treacherous kind lots better. Within the first week of initiating the change from Treacherous bacon to Canadian bacon, every other day my mother stared at the lean, tasty slices on her plate (I've been giving her several, under the mistaken assumption that this would allay any sense of deprivation) and said, "Why don't we have real bacon tomorrow?" When I'd reminded her, in detail, why we made the switch, she'd listen, nod, and respond, "I'm not worried. I don't see any reason why you should worry."
    I have a few reasons to worry...every situation in an Ancient One's life, it seems, gives a caregiver a few reasons to worry. With this particular situation, the worry is specifically focused: My mother could mini-stroke again. Of course, considering her age, she may do that anyway, but there's a chance that life could remain at our current level of ease for both of us, I figure, if we try to allay some of the mini-stroke possibility.
    She doesn't see it this way. As far as she's concerned, she hasn't mini-stroked since the one episode (at least as far as we know), and, if she has, it hasn't made our lives more difficult. As well, she has confidence in my ability to handle anything. Finally, after several years, so do I.
    So, I've hit upon a compromise: Treacherous bacon every couple of days, and a voiced determination to talk to her PCP about cholesterol lowering meds that would be appropriate for her. Since the initial study, back in the early 90's, indicating that treating high cholesterol in those of advanced age has no effect on stroke or death rates, other medications have been created, other related research has been reported. While confusing the issue of cardiac health and the elderly, especially the research related to cholesterol levels and dementia, there have been a few blinds drawn back from few small windows that suggest that in some cases, my mother's case possibly falling into those categories, treatment for high cholesterol might not do any harm and might protect her from further mini-stroking.
    I know that my mother's strength of will and spirit will not allow me to become too much more restrictive or creative with her food choices, unless I want to whip up a constantly combative undercurrent in our lives. It's possible that, as happened with diet vs. diabetes, she will slowly but surely, of her own accord, choose a more healthful diet as she notices that I am incorporating those changes into my diet. She isn't beyond this possibility. However, as I recall how long it took her to fully accept what is now a fairly sugarless diet and factor in her current age, I'm thinking that dietary changes are less promising. As well, back when I was trying to subvert her preference for a high level of refined carbohydrates, the difference in my plates of food and hers were obvious, and mine always looks more interesting. There are no noticeable eye-candy changes appearing, now, though, between her plate and mine, even though there are fairly significant nutritional changes.
    So, I'll be doing research on cholesterol treatments prior to her next doctor's visit which, if nothing emergent occurs, will be in September. I'll be encouraging, by example, changes in what appears on her plate between now and then. And, every couple of days, she'll continue to eat her beloved, thick sliced, as lean as possible, hickory smoked, sugar cured bacon.
    She is, after all, an adult. Considering her overall health and wellbeing profile, she is not likely to ever forget that adults get to do what they want.
    Later.

Comments:
Originally posted by Granny J: Thu May 03, 10:14:00 PM 2007

I can certainly sympathize with your mother when it comes to bacon. I manage to keep my own consumption down simply because it's a mess to cook/clean up. But I think of my own Very Ancient mother, who's small concessions to proper eating are dried apricots and raw veggie sticks; as far as cooked vegetables are concerned, she could care less if they disappeared from the earth! and she adores KFC chicken! But then why fight it -- she's managed on her diet for a mighty long time.


Originally posted by linda g: Fri May 04, 08:04:00 AM 2007

My Mom is 94 and lives in a little cottage here on the one acre wood. She recently quit driving, so I taxi her about, but she is independent otherwise. I'm always aware that could change in a heartbeat and can only hope I'll be able to handle whatever challenge comes my way.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?