Saturday, May 26, 2007

 

I have two goals for this long weekend...

...yes, long weekends count, even for those living in timelessness. I love, in fact, reminding Mom of long weekends approaching because she sighs as though she's been digging ditches for several days and says, "Thank goodness, I can relax!"
Long Weekend Goals:    So, naturally, here I am, writing about other stuff, but, I only have a few minutes before awakening Mom (actually, I'll probably be a few minutes behind when I finish this), so I wanted to use the time to carve my goals in virtual stone.
    All errands that need to be done over the next few days were completed this morning, including checking out the possibility of renting a tiller next week. Looks good for that. This morning when I headed out to water and feed plants, I noticed the javelina had eaten all the tender new rose shoots! Damn! The stuff I've been using to keep them away works, but the place that sells it ran out and said they wouldn't have a new shipment until last night...so application lagged for a few days. The javelina have been good about leaving everything alone, but, I guess, last night was the night that the stuff I've been using (a product with garlic oil concentrate) gave up the ghost. Now, at least, I know how long the stuff stays active. This morning the shelf was indeed full, so I bought several shakers full, inquired into buying it in bulk (which is possible), "warned" the store that I'd be using it frequently throughout the growing season and asked them to make sure they kept it in stock...then filled out a suggestion card. Hope that helps!
    I'm not, by the way, using it around the onions and basil and mint. They seem to leave that alone. Everything else is fair game, though, including the compost bins. I think, next year, I'll consider planting garlic around everything. That will probably be cheaper and should work just as well.
    Mom's been up and at 'em quite a bit over the last few days, so I expect my computer time will be limited, but, from this point on, expect several catch up posts to begin appearing.
    I gave in, by the way, in regard to ham for our "holiday dinner" this weekend. Mom's been talking "beans and ham" a lot, lately, so I figured this would kill two birds with one stone and I could freeze whatever was left over. So, holiday dinner, which will probably be tomorrow rather than Monday, will be ham, corn on the cob (nuked) and home made blueberry cobbler. Sounds good, doesn't it! Come on over, there'll be plenty!
    Better awaken the Mom. I hear her stirring, right on time.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?