Thursday, May 3, 2007

 

It must be wonderful to have a job...

...where everyone for whom you do your job is thrilled to see you. I've had jobs where people were glad I arrived because no one else knew how to do what I did and jobs where no one wanted to do what I did, so they were glad to know I was on the job. I even had a job once, as an insurance adjuster, where everyone I met when I was doing the critical part of my job was having a bad day and wished I my arrival wasn't necessary. I've never, though, worked in any job where I knew people would greet my arrival with joy, great anticipation and relief...such as the plumber, who's on his way as I type, will be greeted.
    I mention this because both my mother and I have been looking forward to his visit. Last night my mother told me, "Be sure I'm up when he arrives." I think this is how most people react who consider themselves masters of their home. I did as I was told. I awoke at 0600 and started talking my mother around at 0630. Final mumbled disposition on the matter?
    "Why are you waking me up this early? I'm sure he'll do fine. You're up. Wake me up when I usually get up."
    So, I guess, my mother, without realizing it, has decided I'm the mistress of the house.
    I'm feeling as though I have a job where just being here is so appreciated that my client can continue with her preferred life. That's nice, too.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?