Thursday, June 21, 2007

 

An electrician is due today...

...to install a new ceiling fan + lights fixture and rewire our utility closet so I have access to the light through a switch. I expect the latter to take longer than the former, although you never know.
    I can't seem to get going this morning. I have a little chest congestion. Things are blooming out there, and I continue to bend over dirt and flowering plants in our yard, although I'm getting discouraged by the pack rats. So, the congestion could be from almost anything.
    I expect I'll be assembling the last of the peach pies today. Mom has decided we should bake it, not freeze it, which is fine. If she wants another piece or two, we can always freeze the bulk of the baked pie in individual slices. I'll be using 3.5 lbs of peaches this time, so I'll be increasing the sugar and the quick cooking tapioca, and probably the nutmeg and almond extract. The crust baked perfectly on the first; firm but so flaky it practically melted in your mouth. I think the second crust may be a little on the wet side, so it might be a bit tough, but we'll see. I must remember to check the pie at about 15 minutes intervals to catch the advance browning of the fluting and stop it with aluminum foil. I'd like to scatter walnuts in the filling. Mom isn't so sure about that. I'm sure she'll be up when I assemble and bake the pie. I wonder whether it will have walnuts.
    I should be taking the evaporative cooler apart and testing the motor and pump belt. I don't have it in me, though, this morning, and probably won't if at least half the pad is cooling the air. This is the unit's third summer. I imagine the pump motor and/or the belt could use replacement. Today's Friday, so it would behoove me to do this today. But, I probably won't. I should probably get Mom up about 11:00. It'll be easy. That way, just before the electrician comes, she'll have a legitimate choice about whether to supervise or nap. Today I have no druthers. My only concern is having time to empty the utility closet shelves onto the table after breakfast.
    I've been slowly increasing her lisinopril dosage to four 10 mg tablets a day. This was suggested by the doctor. It took me awhile to figure out that, instead of giving her two pills at once, which zonks her, I can give her 1.5 in the morning, one at dinner, and 1.5 just before she retires. We accomplished the full schedule about a week ago. She's a little hazy but it's hard to tell whether that's because of the lisinopril or the advancing heat. Anyway, this reminds me, I need to update the med schedule. That gives me a reason to wander over to The Dailies.
    Maybe I can get in a cat nap before she awakens. Or a second cup of coffee. Probably the latter.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?