Sunday, June 24, 2007

 

Today I suddenly remembered...

...that it's been at least over a month since I have checked in over at Revolution. Their rules say that to retain this free one year membership, members must log into the site and do something, anything, at least once a month. Turns out it's been a few days over three months for me! Yeow! I am, thus, pleased and gratified to report that both mine and my mother's accounts remain available. Although I've come to discover that me having an account doesn't help my mother, much, as I could not "do things" in her name, I have high hopes for accessing some of the services on my mother's behalf through her profile before the end of the year.
    I suppose I could have, occasionally, surveyed support groups and other healthcare blogs over there, but I have trouble considering online support groups a priority. I'm struggling, right now, with getting back to Daily Strength, and that community definitely thrives on through-site contact.
    Last night was another late night for Mom. I enjoy these periods. We are more "up" for serendipity and more likely to produce it. Last night Mom and I admired our half-finished Easter Eggs and speculated about the possibility that we could paint a supply of these things and see if we could sell them.
    She demured that her art work wasn't "good enough" to sell. It actually is interesting, bright and intriguing to look at. She just can't see it because she can't get out of her mind that she didn't have good enough control of the brushes.
    I, on the other hand, think we could sell these as folk art, which they obviously are. We talked about storage, promotion, the specifics (that we know about) regarding setting up a fair booth, etc. Mom's eyes shone. I think she would have loved to have owned and managed a store...any store. She's in her element at garage sales. One of her favorite past times, in years gone by, was going to the border towns along the Mexico-Arizona and Mexico-Texas borders to shop. She is especially attracted to bartering; both sides of the equation. I swear she was a bazaar merchant in a previous life; which is possible. She feels strong ties to ancient Egypt.
    We talked about whether stands would easy to find and provide. The ones I bought my parents came with appropriately efficient little stands. We talked about the likelihood that we will switch to gloss rather than matte paint and learning how to control the appearance of brush strokes.
    It always amazes me how involved Mom can get when a subject narrows and specifies itself. Granted, this is all talk, at the moment. And, as well, I'm dealing with a woman who is in low energy mode. But wouldn't that be cool: A new career for Mom in her 90's despite her dementia and the physical toll of aging!
    Hmmm...well, I think I'll sneak in on Mom and see if she's ready to rouse...it's been just about 11.5 hours since her light went off, last night.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?