Saturday, July 7, 2007

 

I fell asleep on the couch, last night.

    I intended only to take a "little nap", when I laid down at 0030. Early, I know. Both Mom and I went to bed early.
    By the time I decided to just crawl up onto the couch, I figured I'd be up probably around 0230 and would have the energy to hobble into bed. I'm not sure why, but, last night, I was exhausted. I couldn't get it up for anything.
    The reason my plan included eventually reawakening and going to bed was because I sleep close enough to Mom so that, if I'm sufficiently rested, I can hear her move. Thus, I suppose you could say, I rarely get really deep sleep, unless I can't fight it anymore. I was sure I would reawaken after a few hours because I am not really comfortable sleeping on our couch, although that's where I usually nap; and usually awaken with a sleeping arm or an aching shoulder.
    When I actually awoke, this morning at 0534 in the ambient light just before sunrise, I had slept so deeply I was disoriented. Once I realized where I was and why I was there, I felt so rested I thought I'd slept through until 1734, future this evening, and the light was from the sun setting behind Thumb Butte. Mom had slept through, as well, I realized: About 17 hours of sleep. I was incredulous. Ashamed and scared, I hauled ass off the couch, looked around (it didn't look like she'd been up; I wasn't sure which possibility I preferred) and headed into her bedroom. It was then, looking through her east facing window, that I noticed the sun was just coming up, not just going down. I heaved a sigh of relief, partially shaded her windows with the blinds and returned to the living room. I think the reason I slept so soundly and with such satisfaction in such a short time is that I knew I wouldn't be able to hear Mom from the living room...and didn't care, because I was so tired I was sure I hear her from even my bedroom, in which it wasn't necessary to sleep, anyway, since I was too tired to pay attention to night sounds. I think my body just took advantage of this opportunity to take an oh-well-fuck-it sleep.
    I was so full of energy and good cheer, though, when I awoke that I decided to tackle a few not-every-day chores, and, as well, prepare for the next home made pie (blackberry, probably) by making the crust. Not sure if I'll bake it tonight or tomorrow; I'll be baking muffins when I get back from Costco this morning. And I'm broiling salmon for dinner tonight ["We've got to eat something nominally nutritious tomorrow night," I told Mom, scolding us both, last night, "we can't just eat pie!]. The pie activates the oven for about an hour and 15 minutes. Maybe I'll wait until tomorrow morning on that.
    Gotta check the weather, then I'm off. Maybe I'll be able to get Mom up "early", today. I'm itching to paint some more eggs; I think I will whether or not Mom wants to. Chances are, once she sees me starting, she'll join in. Oh, yeah. I need to add that to my shopping list. Jumbo eggs, for painting. More canvas.
    Dewpoint's 47%. Not good for evaporative coolers. It's pleasant, right now, all the windows are open, all fans are on. Maybe we'll be able to get by with just the a/c in the livingroom later today. We'll see. Gotta go.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?