Wednesday, November 14, 2007

 

I just awoke from a dream...

...in which Jessica Fletcher and I solved a murder mystery involving a red haired man, appearing as the culprit in my dream, who my subconscious stole from the movie An Unfinished Life, which Mom and I watched, in our "reel" life, a few days ago during a personal, mini Lasse Hallström festival. It was an exuberant enjoyable dream. During the investigation both Jessica and I donned disguises. Both of us failed to recognize the other in disguise. I laughed so hard in the dream I may have laughed out loud in real life.
    I'm mentioning the dream because, as it closed, Jessica mentioned that she would be returning to her "favorite place"; for her, in the dream, it was Wales. She urged me to do the same.
    The idea sounded perfect, I agreed, and told her, in answer to her query, that my favorite place was Seattle, Washington, any time but the summer, but that I would be deferring my return.
    "What's stopping you?" she asked.
    "My mother and I live together and she can't take Seattle weather. If she doesn't enjoy it, I won't." My voice and mood in the dream were matter of fact. No sorrow. No regrets.
    Jessica smiled, nodded approvingly and wished me well, "...until we meet again," [presumably in Dream Land to solve another murder mystery].
    I awoke as Jessica donned another disguise and headed toward Wales. I was surprised to realize that, even in my dream life, now, I am satisfied with where I am, my commitment to my mother and what I consider that it asks of my life. Partnering with Jessica Fletcher in a dream is one indication. My mother's been on a Murder, She Wrote binge, lately, and, this time, I'm not annoyed by it; not even by hearing the theme over and over (which may or may not have been atmosphere music in my dream).
    It's funny, too, because I have a recent info-blip with which to compare my staunch refusal to return to my favorite place at this time. Yesterday Mom and I were watching the weather segment of a "local" (from Phoenix) news program. The meteorologist mentioned that the Western United States is in a La Niña pattern: Cooler and wetter for the Pacific Northwest (he mentioned Seattle specifically); warmer and drier for us.
    I remember thinking, "Damn, I'm missing a La Niña winter in Seattle! Oh well, it won't be the last."
    Simultaneously, my mother was saying, "Oh, good, looks like it's going to be warmer, here, this year!" She added, "I'm sorry you're missing Seattle, though. Why don't you visit there for a week? I'll be fine."
    My mother, of course, was thinking that she'd be fine on her own...not in a nursing home, which she'd refuse and in which, frankly, after our skilled nursing facility adventure, I'd refuse to harbor her unless I could check on her care daily; and, you know, if I'm going to be here to check on her daily, why not just be with her here at home? Much better for both of us.
    I grinned, thanked her, and told her, "I think I'll do that."
    This satisfied both of us, even though I fear I'm suffering a bit of Seasonal Affective Disorder because of this winter's uninhibited sun. Makes it easy, though, to get my mother in the car for a blood draw during the winter. Which I'll be doing shortly.
    Off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of blood.
    Later.

Comments:
Originally posted by Ann: Thu Nov 15, 06:59:00 PM 2007

I'm not a professional dream interpreter, and the only thing I've ever really known about them is that they help us work out our problems or stress, and that some were prophetic in a biblical sense. The fact that you've given up or sacrificed certain areas of your life to provide quality care for your mother is well demonstrated in your dream I feel. It reminds me of a time I went through. My son and I were sent to an asthma hospital for a month in Denver, Colorado. At that time, we were told that he was one of the worst asthmatics in the country, and not only could he benefit from being close to their specialty hospital, but he would also benefit to the air quality found around Denver. However, I decided that we would stay near Memphis, Tennessee, based on two facts: One, my husband provided our living because he was a riverboat pilot on the Mississippi River, and two, because my parents and siblings lived in Memphis. Sometimes our life choices are challenging and we need the coping mechanisms that dreams only can provide. And the fact that you were able to 'laugh out loud' - that was a bonus feature!


Originally posted by Scott: Fri Nov 16, 10:20:00 AM 2007

Hey...

Do you have an amazon wish list? email me sometime at my new address which should be linked with blogger but here's my new website just in case:

http://www.lifencompass.org

I think of you and your mom often.

Cheers.

Scott
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?